Folk Metal : this music we love!

Mister Folk got the idea to interview me and Jeff from Folk-metal.nl. We all three have answered the questions with our own vision of things; and different pathways we got to reach one musical genre we all love : Folk Metal.


FABRIZIO (Mister Folk):

Define folk metal and viking metal.
Folk metal is a combination of heavy metal guitars and folk music; it is usually characterized by the use of traditional instruments, such as violin, harp, bagpipe, hurdy-gurdy, various types of flutes etc. Lyrics often talk about historical events, myths and legends of a given land, but this is not a fixed rule and it is something that unluckily has been lost over the years.
Viking metal represents an evolution of heavy metal originally related to Vikings: the first bands identified with this music genre used to sing about typical topics, such as historical events, conquests and raids, spirituality and eminent personalities. As I said before with regard to folk metal, this trait is gradually fading. On the contrary, strong attention is given to image/style, whereas music is becoming less and less inspired.


How did you become fond of folk/viking metal ?
In 1998 I received via the tape-trading network of the time Amon Amarth's debut album Once Sent From the Golden Hall: I immediately fell in love with those gritty, powerful melodies and those fierce Nordic songs. In a short time I was able to find works by Enslaved, Bathory and Storm and I decided to listen to those albums while reading books on Vikings and on the Middle Ages.


What are, in your opinion, the most important names in the scene ?
With regard to folk metal, undoubtedly Otyg, Storm, Skyclad, Cruachan, Finntroll and Korpiklaani; with regard to viking metal Bathory, Enslaved, Windir, Falkenbach and Mithotyn. The bands I mentioned created those music genres and/or gave a boost to the scene when it was in its early days, giving it respect and making it visible. Nowadays there are other important names in the scene and we all know what they are, but before learning by heart any Eluveitie's refrain it would be better to study the story of our favourite music genre. 
It is a different story with the wonderful Andreas Hedlund's work Till Fjälls: in that album Vintersorg mixed for the first time folk and viking metal.


Do you prefer legendary or more recent bands? Why ?
It is easy to answer: I am mainly fond of legendary bands because, from a musical point of view, had (and still have) an edge over others. With regard to "recent" bands, I can say I have really appreciated Ensiferum until their album From Afar. Since then they have been releasing less inspired works.


An album that amazed you recently… 
The one-man band Bloodshed Walhalla's EP Mather is amazing and endowed with a personal sound. From a musical and lyrical point of view, they revisited folk songs from Lucania (aka Basilicata, a region in the south of Italy) and played them in the typical viking metal style that characterizes the project. The best album of 2015 is, according to my personal taste, Tău by the Romanian band Negură Bunget. It is a very inspired work, full of atmospheric and dreamy music with meaningful and romantic lyrics. Thereupon there is a band called Ereb Altor with its Nattramn and Galar with De Djenvelende. We are talking about great music!


Recommend 5 albums to a person who wants to get into folk metal.
Otyg's Älvefärd and Storm's Nordavind, since they are the best examples of true (and authentic) folk metal: lyrics and music go hand in hand and the story goes from here!
Enslaved's Eld and Bathory's Hammerheart are the two masterpieces of viking metal. These are very different works that gave birth to viking metal.
Finally my heart leads me to Arntor, the late Terje Bakken's second work. 1184 is a masterpiece too, but with Arntor Windir knows how to reach the listener's heart. Just read the lyrics and let emotions carry you away.




JEFF (Folk-metal.nl):

Define folk metal and Viking metal.
I believe that Folk Metal typically is heavy metal music that also incorporates traditional instruments into the sound such as fiddle, bagpipe, whistle, accordion, etc. but is not necessarily limited to just a musical standpoint. Some bands may have a traditional ideology or theme to their music without using traditional instrumentation and be just a typical metal band. Viking Metal is any style of heavy metal music that honors the Viking ways, historically or otherwise in their overall sound.


How did you become fond of folk/viking metal ?
I have always been a metal fan (30+ years) and I also am very in touch with my heritage as well as being a history buff. Folk and Viking Metal combine my love for all three. While I am still a huge Black Metal fan, I felt the “message” in Black Metal was not one I could connect with as well as what folk and Viking metal bands were sending in their music/lyrics. Specifically, Bathory bridged that divide for me in transitioning from Black Metal to more Viking themed music and eventually into listening to folk metal as well.


What are, in your opinion, the most important names in the scene ?
Current artists such as Amorphis, Arkona, Cruachan, Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Ensiferum, Eluvietie, Primordial, Trollfest, Týr and Amon Amarth amongst many others I feel are probably the “biggest” or well-known acts. They are important because of their popularity and are able to tour and introduce newer, smaller or regional artists to their fans creating a much stronger scene.


Do you prefer legendary or more recent bands? Why ?
I tend to like both so I have no preference. I know what I will get when I hear an established band but I always love to hear what new, up and coming bands are doing as well.


An album that amazed you recently...
Heidevolk’s new album “Velua” is my front runner for album of the year. Despite recent lineup changes, they have put together a very powerful, soulful album and have one of the more unique and recognizable styles in all of metal. More recently, “Curse Of The Cwelled” by Forefather has been an album that everyone I know who has it listens to it constantly….numerous other bands have released amazing albums this year including Arstidir Lifsins, Welicoruss, Baldrs Draumar, Wilderun, Equinox, Valensorow, Galar, Vorgrum, Finsterforst, Wartha and Celtachor….plus a ton of others too numerous to list here!!


Recommend 5 albums to a person who wants to get into folk metal.
Bathory (SWE) - Hammerheart (1990): Quorthon is without question the Godfather of Scandinavian Black Metal and Viking Metal. While “Blood Fire Death” started his trend towards more Viking inspired material, “Hammerheart” is the first fully realized one. I would say “Nordland I” is still my favorite of his Viking albums, but “Hammerheart” started it all……
Cruachan (IRL) - Tuatha Na Gael (1995): The first full length from Ireland’s Cruachan is really the first truly “Folk Metal” album in my opinion and is a must have in any collection. 20 years later and they still release quality Celtic inspired folk metal filled with traditional instrumentation and dark lyrics/stories…
Korpiklaani (FIN) - Karkelo (2009): Korpiklaani are probably the first band I think of if someone asks about “Folk Metal”. I could have picked any of their albums but I choose this album in particular as I think it really captures a little bit of everything that they do.
Finntroll (FIN) - Blodsvept (2013): Finntroll (like Korpiklaani) are one of the first bands I think of when I think “Folk Metal”. “Blodsvept” is equally catchy and heavy while still being folky. The kings of what I like to call “swampy folk metal”…..again I could have picked any of their albums but this one is one I listen to still all the time….
Trollfest (NOR) - “Kaptein Kaos” (2014): While maybe too extreme for some, Trollfest push the boundaries of folk metal and take it in directions no one else has. A concept album of sorts, “Kaptein Kaos” is a perfect example of not taking it all too seriously….various musical styles, catchy hooks and just fun to listen too (probably my kids favorite band)… one of the bands that will define the future of folk metal.




KRISSY (Sword Chant):

Define folk metal and Viking metal.
Well, as I ever said, “Viking” is theme we can find in Folk Metal. Folk Metal is an eclectic music within metal (black, death, power...) and Folk Music (traditional folk, celtic, and medieval) with lyrics that deal with mythologies, paganism, nature, history, or again fantasy


How did you become fond of folk/viking metal ?
I needed something new in that time because I was bored with Music I used to listen and new records, I didn’t amaze. Folk Metal appeared great to me since this is made of things I was looking for: soft parts combined with saturated guitars. Music I used to listen the most in that time was mainly composed of clean guitars and lighter saturation while other effects sounding like “aquatic” or “space” such as Chorus or Flanger were used, sometimes. Other times were also some acoustic guitars but that’s it... I needed more Folk like the one I would find with Celtic Music but I needed distortion with it, something harder than other crunchy distortions or fuzz... Then, I have been conquered by Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Månegarm, Tuatha Dé Danann. These were exactly the things I needed. Today, they are many talented bands, famous and not, playing this challenge that isn’t easy for random musicians, I think, because both Folk and Metal have to be one but then, it depends of various things musically speaking, theme chosen, etc. And the hardest thing for a band which is for whatever Music style, is to create something which sounds new and doesn’t sound like another band; and to find their own sound. Folk Metal is one music style which can be extremely various since a lot of subgenres are with Folk music and Metal music but other music styles can also interfered inside. However, not everything can be named “Folk Metal”. A certain feeling must be in... I discovered Celtic Music when I was young and it never left me. There, Traditional Music is like something which warms your heart. I am usually happy when i hear traditional tunes or instruments mixed with Metal. But traditional isn’t only Celtic. Many countries with their trads are in this world I am opened to. Thus, I know plenty horizons within trad and not, haven’t been explored yet in the Folk Metal world but all these attract me pretty much.


What are, in your opinion, the most important names in the scene ?
Napalm records, Trollzorn, Stygian crypt productions, Einheit productionen or again Noise Art records are companies which signed Folk Metal bands. Never mentioned, I think they are important names for Folk Metal supporters like me.


Do you prefer legendary or more recent bands ? Why ?
It doesn’t matter. If you have visited the platform on Sword Chant, maybe you have noticed unknown bands are in the same “box” as for famous bands. For me, they are equals to each other, and deserve same support; and this will never change. Some bands don’t have the same luck as for others because various reasons but not necessary because their music would appear less amazing, so far. They are many talented folk metal bands, signed like unsigned, which deserve our attention. That’s why their news and requests are always welcome in my inbox like they are in yours and to Folk Metal.NL, I think. Then, if they need some help, they can always contact me through Eld (http://eld-folkmetal.blogspot.fr/p/about.html) that is my project dedicated to help these bands to emerge fine.


An album that amazed you recently.
Actually these days, I am back into One Man Army album by Ensiferum. Great record :) 


Recommend 5 albums to a person who wants to get into folk metal.
I don’t work that way, sorry! :D If somebody comes to me asking for things folk metal related, for that one to dig the genre better, I’d tell him to try some big bands, and various folk metal music from bands not necessary known. It can go from Ensiferum to Tuatha Dé Danann or Arraigo, Nine Treasures... The idea is for that one to find the kind of folk métal closer to him first, and to discover richness of folk metal. Is he more in the mood of Korpiklaani or Alestorm? Eluveitie or Finntroll? But maybe Trollfest appears better for that one? So, I can’t answer to this question because these are things which come up along with the conversation. For example, if that one enjoys Eluveitie on first sight, I’d suggest him to try Furor Gallico, An Norvys, and some others. I think that is also one good opportunity to tell to the potential listeners about these small but talented bands because these bands exist and do a great job too. So, I think the bands deserve it. Then, if somebody is looking for folk metal bands within particular sound or instrument, he can pay a visit to my project named “Folk instruments in Folk Metal bands” in Sword Chant but I know some people feel closer to their country and would prefer a start from there so they can dig passing by my listing per country. Everything is available here: http://sword-chant.blogspot.com/p/bands_1.html?spref=tw

Comments