Review: Dur Dabla - Demo 2010



Lets start this review with the cover-art. 

I see it & I want to say “congrats” to the designer! The cover-art respects the bandname (harp), the genre & location of the band : “celtic” & the draw is particularly very good! The color itself reflects the metal aspect from the band.

I open the jewel cd, and what do I see in my copy ? “to Krissy Dragonhead & Sword Chant”, signed Marc. :)

But the font inside like the back cover, I don’t like much because its way too much of these big letters (like the big ones from their respective logo).




1/ Intro
From 0.12 to 0.18, I’ll regret the last note from the musical sentence is played one time instead of two. It’s a kind of the celtic music structure what I’m saying…. For example, we could listen to bagpipes etc That structure is still around… so its a bit shame from beautiful strings instr… but later, that last note is played more times which is good. Before that its okay.

Then the good beats are coming at 0.19 but at 0.48 I hear one killed note for strings../ Also, I noticed some delays (I don’t mean delay effect), I thought it was mistake but in the end, maybe the song is that way. So I don’t know…

0.54/55 we enter a second part from the instrumental song and its shame something like a wind or wave sound, coming with a sound low to high, was not present here ‘til the whistles come in, because the entry of those all of a sudden is brutal kinda. Yeah, that’s one brutal break. But then flute and everything are good. Nothing bad ‘til the end.


2/ To Defend Our Celtic Lands
It starts within funny clean strings & even more enjoying when we know the drums etc and mainly the blackish voice come in at 0.17. :)
But that clean reflects a kind of peace.

So, at 0.17 from this second track, I can confirm they play folk METAL. :)
The disto guitar plays same thing as at the whole beginning. The drums is brutal. The flute adds a zest of sweetness in their furious minds. Everyone’s doing good his job, singer as well but I’ll tell something about him in my conclusions because I don’t want to repeat myself.

However, that song played live may be good!! 

At 1.28 is a nice break with guitars. Everyone seems to get fun of their instrument, so is the drummer. At 1.45 is one sentence spent by the singer, going so good with the next: guitars & drums in fury!
I pretty like that drums since he amazes me. Another riff enters at 2.33. Again, good one & well, the track is good until the end. So is the guitar solo at the end but the real end of the tune is strange or lets say that’s a brutal cut. Well, ok, it’s a demo but for an eventual full length, I think the two last notes, repeated until a sound high to low, would be preferred. By the way, left 5 seconds of no sound after until next track…./ 


3/ Dancing With Korrigans
100% metal. Good riffs, good beats. Guitars, flute, drums reflect well the title imo.
The singing is a bit shame here but you’ll see why later.

At 3.15 you could be scared of the korrigans… & maybe throw away all books related with lol. Drums is harder than it was yet before and very good guitars. But shame it doesn’t go more heavy at the deep end. Like one guitar player could play same riff like here and the other one would play same game but after the 12th fret on the guitars’ neck or somewhere on the little E-string following that game, sure. That same riff within no change is too repeated imo. By the way, the end is bad cut: 6 notes are missing. :(


4/ Ynys Y Cedryn
Everyone’s together, flute as well. Too bad the sound isn’t that great but well, the good drummer is already attacking... XD So from 0.00 is a good first riff giving place at 0.39 to another one where they rather attack palm muted guitar strings only but no worries because everyone’s back together once more at 0.54. :D

Even it’s a good riff, I’ll regret the band didn’t play with different tones on that one because that riff is repeated a bit too much and so, it could be boring for some. But I realize the whistler got it I think since that last played with it. ^^

1.39 is a blackened game. Fast’n’good riffs. And we come back on the previous game, until to fall again on those fast riffs.

After is a mix of the game from 0.54 & new one with some tortured strings from guitars.
I’d see this mix more like calming down before to come back to the very first game where started the tune. The drums makes great the end. :D


5/ Dremmwel
Well, the song is very well composed. At 0.13 I’d see different drumbeats like harder beats in between – low to high sounds over each musical sentence. Then its ok when the singer is here but singing could be a bit better…
Guitars are good.

At 1.41 is that kind of military drums with the whistler aside. Very good. It does change of biniou koz/bombard at last. lmao
Ok, lets be serious. Others are joining the whistler at 1.52 but the background vocals sound a bit like shy & at 3.27 those same vocals failed that part, waving, coming back to the good tone. 


To conclude :
I believe that band could go far if they keep working as good as here. I noticed some mistakes, nothing that bad : Some trainings & things will be alright, I’m sure.

Now about the blackish singer :
- Well, the blackened voice is here. But he needs some training. It sounds like he gets some troubles with his breathing. That’s nothing bad. 
But the singing is like sport, we need training to run faster, and for longer time. Long gigs may be exhausting for now…
- Also, I find it shame lyrics weren’t included because I got nothing…/
So here too needs training.
- And last thing : He should stop following the drums ever, developing his own way. I noticed it on every songs and sometimes, its annoying kinda.

Hope I won't hurt him but I want to believe in the whole band! And encourage him in his projects of singing!

A special thanks to the drummer & whistler for their respective & amazing parts!
…And guitars too! Only, I hope some more games in their future songs. Otherwise, they have some talent!

Comments