Ever heard DEMOTERION?

The DEMOTERION folks are from Italy. This is a pretty young band since they founded early this year. They will release their first EP soon and I interviewed them for you to know them better. :)

01. Hi DEMOTERION! You founded the band early this year but how? Can you give us details ? 
Alen Foglia: Hello Sword Chant, well, let's say the group was initially founded by myself and the other guitarist Gianmarco while we spoke music after a concert of his old group ‘’Chemical Warfare’’. Then we set ourselves quite a bit to do, to find the other members because this is very difficult to find musicians in Abruzzo (Italy) who listen to Folk Metal and derivatives. We found all the components we began to compose without specific frameworks or guidelines set, only what we felt we had to express, and so it turned out'' Prometheus''. So far this is our history and we cannot complain haha.


02. Your lyrics deal with Paganism. What religion ?

Riccardo Litta: The lyrics for “Prometheus” deal with issues related to the Norse religion, in particular are mostly myths: As the text of plague from the north that is the myth of the birth of the Lombards, aided by Frigg, wife of Odin. But the title track talks about the greek myth of Prometheus and so we decided to call the EP like that. The texts of the ep do not follow a basic story, while the lyrics that will make up the new work are closely connected with each other and follow an elaborated story.


03. Why that choice ?
Riccardo Litta: I chose to talk these themes because since I listen to this music, i have always been fascinated by Norse mythology, from populations that inhabited Scandinavia and from their culture and religion. In particular I was always fascinated by the myth of prometheus although much has nothing to do with the Nordic culture.


04. Are you all bandmembers, pagans ? 
Alen Foglia: I honestly cannot claim to be from pagan religion, as this is just a passion that I have in general and I do not really deepen that much. Unfortunately in our country ever since we were kids is imposed on us, as a matter of culture and ingrained beliefs, the idea of Christ ‘’Messiah’’, and then automatically you grow up ignoring other religions and other ways of thinking. Luckily I had good parents who gave me the opportunity to make my own choices and then, I can call myself a non-believer in any form of religion...

Gianmarco Bandinelli: Basically I'm not a Pagan, because I am against all forms of religion in general ... but paganism fascinates me for its culture and its history.... I discovered all this thanks to the music, which has made me closer to this wonderful reality...

Pierpaolo Saccomandi: No I’m not, my idea of religion is a bit special and can be defined as abstract as I have not a god or a higher entity to which I firmly believe, and I'm referring to, more than anything else I try to understand what might be god, or maybe simply does not exist...

Enrico Laudi: Yes, based on what I think, I can call myself "Pagan" as that term literally refers to the opposition to Christianity. What struck me most of the pagan world were culture, myths, sounds and environments that revolve around it from the northern to the Italian one and especially the freedom and the fact that they believe more in themselves, live being aware of their potential.

Riccardo Litta: I‘m not really pagan but i’ve always loved this world, I’m really interested in pagan culture and religion, and I love to relive and make relive the ancient myths to the listeners and the deeds of the barbarians through the music.

Marco Berrettoni: By myself I can say that I'm walking my own personal spiritual journey trying to figure out what I believe in or what is above us, but I'm much thought that I will always forward, I do not think there is an answer for everything; belonging to this, no, I am not Pagan.


05. Can you define that word “Demoterion” to the readers ?
Alen Foglia: Demoterion is only a name without meaning, it sounds good!


06. Your debut EP entitled "Prometheus" was planned for this October but it appeared as delayed… Have you met some issues with it ?
Alen Foglia: Yes, we had some problems during the molding phase and in some payments, but finally we have solved all the problems and we are ready to get it out...


07. When do you think to release it ?
Alen Foglia: We're going to get it out November 30, which is a fine date for us for now 


08. Can you tell us what the songs tell to the listeners ?
Gianmarco Bandinelli: When we compose and write, we try the best to give that sense of epic sweep and try to make the listener's mind to the point of being able to do it and put himself in the music making his own story, and an epic world filled with intrigue, culture and also the occult, in which to travel whenever he would hear us.


09. Have you planned one release party regarding the EP ?
Alen Foglia: Of course! Obviously, it coincides with the date of release of the EP on November 30.


10. Do you have some upcoming gigs ?
Alen Foglia: Yes, but not confirmed. 


11. How do you like folk metal scene in Italy ? 
Alen Foglia:  I think that in Italy we have a nice folk metal scene, there are good groups that really deserve a lot, and the only problem in making the concerts, as long as you do not get enough popularity the owners of the premises or the organizers of the festival does not come at you or do not give you space, which causes a great inconvenience to the bands.

Gianmarco Bandinelli: Is a musical genre that is now very strong by bands like Folkstone, Furor Gallico and Draugr where formed many fans of the genre ... not only in Italy but also abroad and I am proud of this thing ... in Italy are many other groups that are worth so much, just do not have the same reputation as groups that I mentioned before, but they still deserve so much .. so I hope these groups come out from the pile and to achieve high levels.

Pierpaolo Saccomandi: Honestly I'm not very experienced on this topic, as listener and musician recently, I must say that in Italy there are some really interesting projects and groups that should not be underestimated as Furor Gallico and Kanseil which are those to which I take reference more.

Enrico Laudi: Folk Metal in Italy is for me , to have a good success, bands like Folkstone and Ulvedharr have been able to expand the genre and lay the foundations for what is becoming a real Italian folk metal scene with its own identity.

Riccardo Litta: I think there is big folk metal scene in Italy. There are a lot of bands which play this kind of music and also a lot of people who listen to it.  And here we have a lot of events and important festivals dedicated to the folk/Viking metal like Fosch fest. And honestly there are some Italian unknown folk metal bands that in my opinion are better than a lot of famous band.
Marco Berrettoni: I really like the Pagan/Folk Metal scene in Italy, and bands like Draugr ,Vinterblot and the old Krampus make me want to play and to do my best for the band.


12. Do you have some favorites local pagan/folk metal bands ?
Alen Foglia: I tell you, here, where we are, there are very few bands Pagan / Folk Metal. I can speak for the whole band and tell you that the best are Draugr which are among the founders of its kind in Italian, Arvensvarthe an Epic Black Metal band and Malanoctem, a really great band.


13. Some pagan/folk metal bands may have helped you a bit to build yourself, musically. What are the bands? what did they bring to you ? 
Alen Foglia: I started to listen to Folk / Pagan metal when I was 10 years old, and from that moment I immediately loved bands like Heidevolk, Bathory and Elvenking. I have known metal in general through Folk metal music. Now, having discovered many new bands, I can say that the bands Thyrfing and especialy Moonsorrow have really taught me some things, I love them, definitely!

Gianmarco Bandinelli: I grew up musically listening to thrash metal and black metal, then I am intrigued discovering this new field of music, more melodic and since I also love melodic death, I am attached immediately to bands like Amon Amarth and Ensiferum, but then I discovered huge bands such as Windir or Dissection and I have been trained on this sort of metal.

Pierpaolo Saccomandi: I knew folk metal for a few years ago, and I can certainly say that the bands inspiring me most are Enslaved and Primordial, so is Haggard whether they can be considered as Folk a little. 

Enrico Laudi: I do not remember exactly when I started listening to folk metal, but I remember the first group, Eluveitie struck me so much. maybe like one or two groups until now, I started to get interested in the genre and once discovered Ensiferum, I realized that even the electric bass in this genre could have an important part, from that moment on Sami Hinkaa became a mentor to me and i began to base my style on its own, without neglecting bassists who have contributed to my musical growth as Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, Billy Sheehan and Jeff Berlin.

Riccardo Litta: I started to listen to folk metal when I was about 12, the first bands I listened to were korpiklaani and ensiferum and thanks to them I started to love this musical genre. Then, I discovered bands like Equilibrium, Thyring Varg , Windir and many others. But the band which make me understand what is folk/pagan music more than others are Draugr, Ensiferum and Thyrfing; regarding the voice and, the singers who have influenced me the most are Petri Lindroos from Ensiferum, Anders Fridén who was the first singer of Dark Tranquility and Nihil from Arvensvarthe.

Marco Berrettoni: Before to know folk metal, I listened to Power Metal, and I still do it a lot! I’ve been formed with bands like Celesty, Angra and Rhapsody Of Fire, then I discovered folk metal, and I really lke bands like Månegarm , Finntroll and Finsterforst.  


14. What are the next plans for the band ?
Alen Foglia: The next plans are to start the recordings of our first full length as soon as possible, and to be able to find more evenings possible, perhaps with good bands or at least with good people!


15. Thanks to all of you for your time! The last words are yours!
All the band: Thank you, really, thank you for the space you reserved and for the time you have dedicated to us! Hail MotherFolkers!

Comments