Interview with Nature (TENGGER CAVALRY)

Their re-release "Blood Sacrifice Shaman" is coming soon. The TENGGER CAVALRY founder revealed to Sword Chant, tthings behind the record.

01. Hi Nature ! First of all… How did the idea to found a band like TENGGER CAVALRY come to you ?
When I heard those amazing folk metal bands in Europe, I was blow away by the magic of the sound. Eluveitie combines Celtic folk with heavy metal; Turisas combines Viking folk with epic metal. I just love the idea of incorporating traditional folk tune with heavy metal. So I was thinking, I want to blend Mongolian traditional music with it to create an epic image of Genghis Khan’s cavalry!


02. Can you tell us your musical path ?
I started as a guitarist in local metal bands in Beijing. And then I studied Mongolian horsehead fiddle and throat singing with several Mongolian musicians. I started Tengger Cavalry in late 2009 and early 2010. Now I am in New York studying Film Music Composition


.03. Back in 2010 was released ‘Blood Sacrifice Shaman” demo version by TENGGER CAVALRY as a one-man band project of yours... How did the concept, recordings and everything happen in that time ?
At that time I am the only person who thought about this idea, so I had to finish every single detail by myself, from song writing to arranging, from recording to mixing. I just wanted to create pure Mongolian pagan metal sound.


04. Nowadays, what do you think of the final result on this demo ?
I like some of the idea and the shamanism ritual atmosphere. But the performance, recording, orchestration, and mixing is way below my own artistic standard. So we normally don’t list it as an official album but a demo album.


05. May 18th of 2015 will be also released ‘Blood Sacrifice Shaman” which will be entirely recorded again. Is it re-recorded by the full line-up ? 
This is album is like a perfect recall of the 2010 demo album. Me myself finished all the stuff, just as how I finished the 2010 demo album. I recorded the guitar, Mongolian fiddle and everything else.


06. What did your band mates think of the idea ?
Because all the songs in ‘Blood Sacrifice Shaman” is written by me so my band mates didn’t participate in this album. They mostly participated in The Expedition and Ancient Call.


07. Why have you taken the decision to record tracks from this demo again, for your next album? Why now ?
I think I really love the idea of this album, which combines shamanism ritual music with metal. It is the most primal idea of Tengger Cavalry back in 2010. Also fans who discovered this underground demo really wants us to release it world wide. So I want to use a more higher song writing and producing standard to present it to everybody who loves it.


08. Have you learnt new instruments since 2009-2010 ?
No I was keeping practicing horsehead fiddle to improve my skill.


09. What other differences are between the early demo and this new album for you as worker on this project, and for us, listeners ? 
I re-write the guitar riff to make it sounds more Mongolian. I re-composed horsehead fiddle and added harmony on important melodies. Also more Mongolian folk instrument such as Yatga, more shamanism instrument such as frame drum and jaw harp were orchestrated into different sections.


10. You said about the artwork that this is “a concept which comes from the ancient pattern from the shaman drum, which represents the balance between the livings and nature. The wolf, as the guardian of the wild, keeps the balance of the ecosystem. In the center of the album is the Mongolian knot, which symbolizes peace, unite, happiness and strength",  Is this artwork your favourite TENGGER CAVALRY one ?
I think my favourite one is still Ancient Call or Sunesu Cavalry. This one is more primal and early pagan style.


11. What are the tracks about ? 
Actually most of the songs are concept. Like Tengger Cavalry is describing Mongolian Cavalry ride across the vastland. Horseman is about the wonderful life of horseman. Blood Sacrifice Shaman is the process of shaman being possessed. Wolf Ritual is the similar idea, when people worship the might wolf and its spirit.


12. Lately, you have performed with the NYU Orchestra. Was it your first experience of that kind ?
Actually I am a film music composer so I studied orchestration and composition. But to perform horsehead fiddle with them is a very different experience.


13. Can you describe this experience ?
It was fascinating. My jazz teacher Richard Shemaria composed a jazz orchestral piece called Mongolian night so there’s a solo section in the middle of the piece where I jam with jazz piano and drum. It is very cool that the jazz harmony actually supports the Mongolian melody perfectly.


14. Will this orchestra or others feat. as guest on “Blood Sacrifice Shaman” album ?
Unfortunately they are not part of the album. 


15. Do you plan a world tour ?
Yes but it is very risky if we don’t have enough fan base around the world.


16. What are all your next plans ?
We are currently focusing on promoting this new album and get more attention.


17. I see often this post from your facebook page related with Viking metal... So, I’ll ask to you this same question: Are you tired of Viking metal ? :-)
Haha not at all. I love Viking album. Just bought Ensiferum’s new album One Man Army and it is amazing. Also I watch the TV show Vikings, which is total epic and pagan!


18. What other folk metal bands do you like ? 
Eluveitie, Turisas, Ensiferum, Alestorm, Fintroll, and Equilibrium.


19. Horses seem to take another big part in your life... Why? Are they special to you ? 
Yes. They are the soul of nature. They are smart, gentle, sensitive. Everytime I spend time with them I feel the inner serenity and a pure simple inner experience. Also galloping on horseback is very exciting and makes me feel energetic.


20. Thanks for the interview, Nature! The last words are yours!
Thank you very much Sword Chant! And thank you everybody who support Tengger Cavalry!

Comments