Interview with ELIWAGAR

I interviewed Runahild, the ELIWAGAR founder. The interview is about her new album and project.

01. Hi Runahild! You founded ELIWAGAR project on December 28th of 2006 which means the 10 years anniversary will be in two years!! How do you feel ? 
That's true, time goes fast. Eliwagar is what I have most precious in life. Music is what saved me from this world I feel I really don't belong to. It's always been a fight to survive amongst others who I share very little with, seeing that nature is just being destroyed and that most people care more for the most meaningless things while what really matters in life is being completely ignored... Music is my way to speak for nature and to represent our roots, it's through music I try to show a way back to a life in harmony with nature, to the inner peace with oneself and with our environment. It's been 8 very creative years so far and I am deeply thankful for everyone who have been supporting through the years and who have shared their own beautiful energies in return.


02. Do you plan something special for ?
I would definitely like to prepare something special for the occasion... but I cannot reveal anything yet as it's all just ideas in my head so far.


03. You firstly focused on Ambient and Epic music once your project created and then, you focused a bit on Folk Metal and mainly, you focused on Folk Music overall... How came these changes to you over the years ?
Those changes come mostly from what instruments I have been able to play or who would be interested to join the project as session musicians. When I started Eliwagar, I couldn't play very much instruments so I used a lot of keyboards until I eventually just learned every instruments I needed to play to get one most possible natural and folk sound. On the way, Bjørn became guitarist of the project and that also gave new perspectives as my first 3 albums were without any string instruments. Then I got the pleasure to work with an old friend of mine, Wargnar, who plays drums as well as a friend of Bjørn, Roar Ruus Finsås, who joined with bass as well, so this combination led to new musical horizon again. I remain the one to compose all music and lyrics, but everybody who join and work with me bring also their own inspiration which give something special to the music. 


04. Does Metal into Folk mean something particular for you since it reach some of your compos ?
Well, I am first of all a metal fan myself. My musical journey really started with black metal when I was a teenager, then music meant more than just music for me... Although I wasn't very much interested into the satanic ideologies, I was of course most attracted to misanthropy and to the nature imagery and very soon this made me discover heathenism and ancient nature beliefs with bands like Falkenbach and Bathory for instance and I became more attracted to folk music then but still nothing like some heavy metal riffs (although I don't think there is much of this in Eliwagar even if we use electric instruments the sound remains very folk most of the time).


05. What means Folk Music for you ?
It represents a connection with nature and with our ancestors, it is timeless music that can bind to ancient past. I discovered pure folk music with the band Faun, and I will always remember, no music ever before could give me this feeling, it was like I was taken to the past around a fire with other women around singing and invoking the spirits of nature... it was a great vision that filled me with strong energies and that's at this exact moment that I decided I would create my own folk project.


06. You are working on your upcoming album now. What step are you in ?
All the songs are recorded and the artwork is done, so now it is about to be mastered in Kalthallen Studio whom we have worked with for the last 5 releases already. And then it is just to start the production process, but it's too early to say when it will be released yet.


07. You have shared the new following songs already: "I Villmarka" (In the Wilderness) and “VanaFolk”. Have you got positive response from listeners ?
Yes and it is very good to get great feedback on those new songs, it gives always a special feeling to read that someone is touched by my music, it creates some kind of connection.


08. What countries (people) are mostly buying ELIWAGAR records ?
That would be very hard to say haha. Actually I sell CDs to many different countries but I don't see one country more represented than the others, it's quite average.


09. Are you signed at a label ?
We have worked with In the Morning Side/Great Turf Deluxe and Heathen Pride but we are considering releasing the new one with our own label again Nordafolk Records, reborn from the ashes, as it was layed down after the "Eliwagar" CD.


10. What details on the upcoming full length can you share with us ?
This is a bit like going back to the beginning and being a one woman band again as I play all instruments on most of the songs. It was just important this time that I could express myself and my feelings entirely and after 5 CDs with other musicians, who were definitely always great experience, I felt the need to be on my own and express my connection with the spirits of nature in a more intimate way. I also did all the artwork this time again, and the photographies of nature in the booklet are all unpublished and used excusively for this release this time. It's been a few month of capturing some ephemeral moments at sunset, in the storm, by the fire or wandering in the wild... This is the artwork:


11. How will sound this album, musically speaking ?
The overall atmosphere is peaceful and the melancholic feeling is there as always but with a more epic feeling. The folk instruments are dominant but there are still some electric guitars on some songs, however it doesn't sound metal, it is mostly here to give some more pressure on specific parts. The only exception is the song "Elivágar" where Bjørn plays guitar and could go free on wild guitar solos, this song has its very own sound and energy.


12. What are the instruments to expect ?
A lot of flutes (alto and soprano) and Hardanger fiddle, a lot of drums (drumset and hand drums), both accoustic and electric guitar and bass and the very new one in the family which is a 12 strings guitar that I offered to myself for my 28th birthday hehe. This instrument actually brings something very special to the album in my opinion, it has a magical sound...


13. What is the first instrument that you started to play and learn? And the following instruments ?
I firstly learnt flute at school, and while everybody else hated it I actually already loved it. Then I bought a keyboard as I played on one at a friend's house and totally fell in love. So I got a hand drum and then came the concertina, more hand drums, then came my dear hardanger fiddle I spent my very last money on to get it at the time, so I was at a viking market and saw this truly beautiful bowed lyre that I couldn't resist to either... and I also got a langeleik but I don't use it much for recording as I find this instrument is best to be played out in the nature and keep those moments unique, playing one melody I would only play once inspired right and then disappear in the heart of nature... I also got a bukkhorn at the Wolin festival in Poland and the latest baby is this 12 strings guitar I mentioned earlier. Those are the instruments I use the most but there are others too. One thing about me is that music instruments is my weakness like shoes or clothes would be to other women, and I use to say it is dangerous to take me to a music shop... when I fall in love with an instrument, I think even giants couldn't stop me from getting it hahaha, and I am definitely not rich, but I just put them as highest priority.


14. Do you plan to make concerts and tour later or is it impossible for you ?
Yes, I hope we can make quite a few concerts around in Norway at least, but when it comes to a tour I am very unsure, it is not so easy with the farm and the work here and I also think I prefer to be on the farm honestly, touring for a long time isn't for me... I love concerts but I also need to come back to nature as I am a very introvert kind of person and need a lot of solitude.


15. How came Heathenism to you ?
Somehow I think I have always been a heathen without putting a name on it. When I was very young, my grand mother taught me that I could speak with plants, that they listen and also can asnwer in their own way, so I have always talked to nature and been very aware of the spiritual side. I was always drawn to some kind of witchcraft and trying to read the signs from ravens for instance or other animals. When I bought my first book about Norse mythology, it just became very clear that this is where I've always belonged. I made my first offering by a tree that had a hole in its heart, which to me seemed a natural connection with the spirits and from then my connection with the old energies has only grown. It's a gift for a gift, by offering something you show your thankfulness for life and for what nature brings you, you share something you have and nature opens to you into magical ways in return... 


16. What is about this new album ?
The new album is called "Heidr" which is the name given to a volve in the Voluspá and which is thought to be an other name for the goddess Gullveig. It literally means "bright one" or "noble". Lyricwise, it is mostly about returning to the wild energies of nature and to the ancient northern witchcraft to bring further the light that heals the spirit and nature. A volve was highly respected back in the heathen time, she would be giving advices and messages from the spiritual world and she could either bless or curse. Without calling myself any name, I try to channel the healing energies of nature through this album, yet an other time a journey through darkness to seek the mysteries of life... 


17. Do you have some favourite Pagan Folk and Traditional Folk bands ?
There is this new dutch project called Sowulo that is definitely amazing, not only do they play beautiful music but from what I see on videos, a concert with them is an experience in itself. I also support the beautiful and meditative Sun and Moon Dance and Idis Örlög. Of course there is well known bands like Faun, Hagalaz Runedance and many others, but I am so much into composing music myself that I must admit I don't keep myself updated enough with the outside world sometimes...


Thank you for the interview, Runahild! 

Comments