SUN AND MOON DANCE interview online

This is the very first interview of the SUN AND MOON DANCE band. Chris answered 13 questions related with the upcoming record, the project, himself and future plans.

01. Hi Chris! One year ago, you founded your Pagan Folk project SUN AND MOON DANCE. How came the idea to found a band ?
Music has been a huge part of my life since I was a little boy. It has always been my way to connect to the realms beyond the physical. The idea to start some sort of project had been in my mind for many many years but it never had the right vessel or the push to turn it into a reality until the past year when my closest and dearest friends all moved into the area that I lived. They are all musicians that share the same love for the music that I do. Never in my life have I had anyone to play music with prior to this. We started jamming together and I finally felt like it was time for me to create my own project. I needed a way to express the bond I had with my friends, the gods and to nature. Thus Sun and Moon Dance was born. 


02. How long do you play Music ? Were you part of other bands before this project ?
I guess you could say Ive been doing music since I was a small child when I used to sing and play air guitar to my grandmother haha I actually started playing my first instrument when I was around the age of 12 when I was in 6th grade band. I played a couple different instruments throughout middle school. After middle school I took to listening to a lot of music rather than playing. I tried learning guitar but i was too impatient at the time. When I started listening to metal around the age of 16, I took to singing. Ive been singing ever since. I really started getting into roots music about 5 years ago but I never picked up a folk instrument (besides the Jaw Harp) until 2014 when I was introduced to the Mountain Dulcimer. From there on I wanted to play as many folk instruments as I could. 

My friend and I started composing music for our project MOONLORE before Sun and Moon Dance was concieved. Previous to that, I have not been involved in any other bands. 


03. Once, you told me "I have a strong connection to my Northern European heritage but also wanted to blend a bit of my heritage from the mountains of Appalachia.” Can you tell us more on your beliefs ? 
Yes, I have always been a very spiritual person. I have done a lot of growing since my younger years and my beliefs have changed quite drastically but exactly the way they needed to. I was introduced to the Runes through many of the bands that I had listened to. I felt this connection to them that is hard to explain. One day I was meditating on the Rune Fehu in a golden wheat field in an area of the forest that was very sacred to me. I briefly fell asleep and I had this very quick vision of a woman with long golden hair walking through the field. She looked back at me and did not say a word. She just stared right into my eyes. I awoke and I had this really strong feeling that Freyja had just shown herself to me. From that point on, the Gods and Goddesses were no longer just a way for me to describe the elements but they were very much living and breathing. This vision is actually what inspired the song "Hymne til Freyja." The track is in a sense about the birth of my faith. Im am very devout to my Germanic faith and the Gods are one of the biggest inspirations behind the project. 


04. How have you got the will to make this project as pagan folk ?
I feel the call to keep the old traditions of my forefathers alive. If we lose our roots and where we come from, we are just lost sheep wandering the earth. Our ancestors endured hard times and shed countless blood to get us where we are today. Our mothers endured so much pain and hardship to continue the bloodline. These old "pagan" ways are in our blood from the very beginning. I want my music to carry on that tradition and inspire others to know their roots. 


05. You are located into the part of the Appalachian mountains in the US, which have given new names to one of the instrument you play. I mean “Mountain dulcimer”. Can we always find many players over there ?
Oh yes, the Appalachian dulcimer is all over the place here. Its mostly the older folk who play them but there is a huge folk revival in the younger generations which is amazing. Here the instrument is usually played in bluegrass bands or old time mountain music. I play it a bit different with tunings more akin to the European versions such as the Icelandic Langspil. I have three friends who actually play this instrument. 


06. Soon will be available your very first demo. Do you know the release date ? 
Yes, this demo is the first musical composition that I have ever composed. It has been uploaded to bandcamp and is just awaiting the artwork which a friend is working on. It will only be a couple more weeks before it is released. 


07. Will you release it in physical and digital versions ? What is the price for both versions ?
The demo will first be released in digital format on bandcamp. It will be a "name your price" download so you can donate whatever you want or get it free. The demo will also eventually released as a physical split cd with MOONLORE. There is no set date of the release of the physical cd but it will happen in the near future. The price for that will be like an average cd.


08. Can we find traditional tunes in this demo, and your music overall ?
I did not do any cover songs on the demo but due to the simplicity of all the folk instruments, each song is traditional in a way. Especially when it comes to the Tagelharpa. Since it can only be played a certain way and such a low range of notes, there is a high probobility that someone a very long time ago has played something very similar to what I am playing. That’s one of the most fascinating things about these old instruments. People who play these ancient instruments are in a way playing history. 


09. You have collaborated with ELIWAGAR for Hymne til Freyja track. Does she play on the two versions of the track from the demo ?
Runahild only plays the Hardingfele on the one track. The other version is a rough track that a friend added some cool effects to with just the Mountain Dulcimer. 


10. How happened this collaboration with Runahild from ELIWAGAR ?
Well, ELIWAGAR has been a project that I have listened to for many years and have gained a huge inspiration from. I have always felt a connection with her music because it was so pure and truthful. I have respected Runahild for the fact that she lives out the life and traditions she sings about in her music. That is hard to find these days. We have all these "pagan" bands in metal and in folk who talk about the old gods and dont apply the beliefs in their everyday life. To me that is empty. When I first composed "Hymne til Freyja" I knew I needed a Hardingfele in it. The first person who came to my mind was Runahild. I figured I would take a shot and ask her if she would like to accompany me in the song. When she agreed, I was so excited. To have one of my biggest inspirations in music to accompany me on the first song I had ever composed was such an amazing feeling. I feel that I gained a good friend out of this collaboration and I hope to do more music with her in the future.


11. Do you plan some gigs ?
I have slowly been boosting my confidence playing in front of people. I do small gigs here and there. I do eventually want to try and play some folk festivals. As of right now theres not much going on as far as gigs. I do know of one possibility for an overseas gig next year but I won't say anything about that until its finalized. 


12. What are your next plans ?
My next plan is to release a full length. Ive got lots of material and ideas in the works already. I have no idea when it will be done but Ill promise that it will not disappoint. All the demo tracks will be re recorded with better equipment and have added dynamics and instrumentation. I do hope to start playing some local gigs like I said in the previous question. My goal is to keep growing and to keep creating the most honest and spirited music that I can. 


13. Thank you for your replies. The last words are yours. 
Thank you for the interview. 

I want my music to inspire people and to help them grow. I want my music to inspire people to pick up these old instruments and create projects of their own. Music is the language that we can all understand. It is a very sacred art form and in my experience, my direct link to the Gods and my ancestors. I want to thank those who have been involved in this project so far. You all know who you are. I thank you very much.

Comments